2/22/2011

Buttermilk Pancakes


I made some fun rainbow pancakes for the kids the other day. I have seen pictures of them before and always thought they looked really cool - and they are! The kids loved them. I made them with my favorite from-scratch pancake recipe. It is a version of the IHOP recipe that I found years ago. They are yummy with fresh blueberries added, but almost better plain. My family thinks they are the best!

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 1/4 cups flour
1 egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup canola oil
pinch of salt

Preheat your skillet over medium heat. Blend all of the ingredients until smooth. Spoon approximately 1/3 cup of the batter onto the skillet. When the edges appear the harden and the bubbles pop at the edges, flip the pancake. Cook on the other side for the same amount of time. - If you add blueberries, you might have to flip a couple times to cook evenly in the center.

If you want to make the rainbow pancakes, start by doubling the recipe. Then, divide the batter into 6 bowls. Add the correct food coloring to each bowl and then stir to get the shade you like. I used a 1/4 cup to drop the batter instead of a 1/3 cup. It makes a little bit more of a mess - but it is fun!


6 comments:

  1. So fun! Definitely making these for St.Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this recipe, I've been looking for a new pancake recipe! Love the fun colors, I know my son would love that!

    I have an award for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that a new way to start the day :-). Children will love these. I'm new to your blog but love what I've found here. I'll be back. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog via Pinterest :) These pancakes look so cute...my kids would love eating them too :)
    Your recipes look great...Glad to be your newest follower! If you get a chance, come by and check out my blog @ http://imhungryformore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really cute idea. I am new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking at rainbow pancake pictures. I mean, I always thought pancakes were perfect but adding fun colors? Yep, pretty much the best breakfast idea ever.

    ReplyDelete